The master’s program in nursing is open to registered nurses who wish to continue their education by obtaining an advanced degree. There are two admission options: RNs with a baccalaureate degree in nursing and RNs prepared at the associate or diploma level that have had outstanding practice experience and professional involvement. RNs who do not have a baccalaureate degree in nursing must complete additional undergraduate course work as prerequisites to master’s course work. The determination of required undergraduate course work is based on an evaluation of each applicant’s past academic work and on undergraduate requirements for the baccalaureate nursing program.
The following are unique admissions requirements for the Master of Science degree in nursing program:
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals knowledgeable of the applicant’s professional and academic abilities. If you have completed your undergraduate nursing degree in the past five years, one letter must come from a former professor.
- Current vitae or resume, including education, work experience and professional development, professional and/or community activities, research and publications.
- A written statement identifying your educational and professional goals and the purpose for applying to the specific graduate option.
- A two-page position paper on a social or health issue (APA style).
- Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale. The GPA is based on undergraduate college-level course work attempted at regionally accredited institutions.
- Registration as a professional nurse in Georgia or another U.S. state and evidence of application to the Georgia Board of Nursing.
- One to two years of clinical practice in the specialty area for master’s education is preferred for applicants in the clinical practice specialist.
- Entrance Exam-The School of Nursing prefers applicants take and submit scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). However, the School of Nursing will also accept Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. PLEASE NOTE: The entrance exam is waived for MS nursing applicants who hold a graduate degree in a non‐nursing field (i.e., MEd, MBA, MPH, etc.), Post‐master’s certificate applicants OR if you have a 3.0 or higher from your Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. If taking the MAT, the score should be sent directly to Georgia State from Harcourt Assessment, Inc. Scores cannot be more than five years old from the desired semester of entry. We recommend that you take the MAT no later than one month prior to the application deadline. The correct institution code for the Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions is 2753. Please use this code (2753) when requesting scores to be sent to the Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions. A department code is not used. If you have an official copy of your MAT scores, please send a photocopy with your application. While a photocopy is not acceptable for admission and we must still receive official scores from Harcourt Assessment, Inc., a photocopy can help expedite the processing of your application. Visit the MAT website at http://www.milleranalogies.com/ or call 1‐800‐622‐3231 for information and registration. If taking the GRE, the score should be sent directly to Georgia State University from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Scores cannot be more than five years old from the desired semester of entry.
- Transcripts‐Submit official transcripts from each college or university attended. Transcripts are required regardless of length of stay or if the grades are listed on another school’s transcript. This also includes hospital schools of nursing. If you have attended Georgia State University, all transcripts, except Georgia State’s, must be sent.