Post-doctoral Associate, Dept. of Rehabilitation Sciences, SUNY at Buffalo, NY (2019)
PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences, SUNY at Buffalo, NY (2017)
MS in Occupational Therapy (Early Intervention & School Based), SUNY at Buffalo, NY (2013)
BS in Occupational Therapy, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, lndia (2009)
Registered and Licensed Occupational Therapist (Pediatric expertise)
- mobile health (mHealth) technology
- technology adoption and acceptance
- self-management of rehabilitation
- upper limb rehabilitation
I am interested in interdisciplinary collaborative research to explore the adoption and use of technology for self-management in home-based settings. My research focuses on use of technology to promote self-management of rehabilitation in rural and remote regions, both locally and globally.
- Bhattacharjya, S., Lenker, J.A., Schraeder, R., Ghosh, A., Ghosh R., & Mandal, S. (2021). Comprehensive needs assessment to ensure appropriate rehabilitation training for community-based workers and caregivers in India. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 75(2).
- Lau, S. C. L., Bhattacharjya, S., Fong, M. W. M., Nicol, G. E., Lenze, E. J., Baum, C., Hardi, A., Wong, A. W. K. (In Press). Effectiveness of theory-based digital self-management interventions for improving depression, anxiety, fatigue, and self-efficacy in people with neurological disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare.
- Jesus T.S., Kamalakannan S., Bhattacharjya S., Bogdanova Y., Arango-Lasprilla J., Bentley J., Gibson B.E., Papadimitriou C., Refugee Empowerment Task Force, International Networking Group of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. (In Press) People with disabilities and other forms of vulnerability to the COVID-19 pandemic: Study protocol for a scoping review and thematic analysis. Archives of Rehabilitation Research & Clinical Translation.
- Langan, J., Bhattacharjya, S. (Co 1st author), Subryan, H., Xu, W., Chen, B., Li, Z., & Cavuoto, L. (2020) In-home rehabilitation using a smartphone app coupled with 3D printed functional objects: Single-subject design study. JMIR mHealth uHealth. Doi: 10.2196/19582
- Bhattacharjya, S., Stafford, M., Cavuoto, L., Yang, Z., Song, C., Subryan, H., Xu, W., Langan, J. (2019). Harnessing smartphone technology and three-dimensional printing to create a mobile rehabilitation system, mRehab: Assessment of usability and consistency in measurement. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12984-019-0592-y.
- DeGrazia, H., Bhattacharjya, S., & Glogowski, J. (Accepted). Examining the type, composition, and effectiveness of real-time performance feedback used in the fields of rehabilitation, health, and engineering: A scoping review. ACRM Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA, USA. Oct. 2020.
- Bhattacharjya, S., Knowledge translation and self-management in occupational therapy. International webinar presentation, Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Manipal Academy of Higher Education. May 19, 2020. (invited)
- Langan, J., Bhattacharjya, S., Neville, M., Wong, A., & Lannin, N. International perspective on self-management interventions following stroke. Symposium accepted at the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (ACRM) Annual Conference, Chicago, USA, Nov. 2019.
- Bhattacharjya, S., Cavuoto, L., Xu, W. Subryan, H., Li, Z., Chen, B., & Langan, J. Assessing the usability and effectiveness of mRehab, a portable rehabilitation system using smartphone and 3D print technology. International NeuroRehabilitation Symposium (INRS), RehabWeek, Toronto, Canada, Jun. 2019.
- Bhattacharjya, S., & Lenker, J. A. Planning and implementation of a patient education program using smartphone-based video modules tailored to low- and middle-income countries. Short course at the AOTA Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, Apr. 2018.
- Experiences of Community Based Rehabilitation Workers Providing Nutrition and Mealtime-Related Services to Children with Cerebral Palsy in India, Faculty International Partnership Engagement (FIPE)
Principal Investigator, July 2020- June 2021
- Using mHealth for Knowledge Dispersion: Perspectives from CBR Workers from West Bengal, India. Mark Diamond Research Fund.
Principal Investigator, 2016-2017.
- Effectiveness of smartphones as a medium for dissemination of rehabilitation-related knowledge for practitioners and clients in resource-poor regions. Center for International Rehabilitation Research Information and Exchange (CIRRIE).
Principal Investigator, 2016-2017
- Development and evaluation of instructional videos to train CBR workers and parents of children with cerebral palsy on mealtime management strategies. Office of Global Health Initiatives, University at Buffalo.
Principal Investigator, 2014-2016.
- Exploring the effectiveness of the Livescribe smartpen as a note taking aid for post-secondary students with disabilities. Department of Rehabilitation Science, University at Buffalo.
Principal Investigator, 2014-2015.
- Assessing local needs to ensure culturally-relevant rehabilitation training for community-based workers and caregivers in India. Healthy World Foundation.
Principal Investigator, 2013-2014.
- World Federation of Occupational Therapy
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- International Society for Virtual Rehabilitation
- The VR//AR Association, Atlanta Chapter
- Life member, All India Occupational Therapist’s Association
- 2020 – Judge, Presentations in 2021 Annual Conference of American Occupational Therapy Association.
- 2019 – Poster Presentation Judge, Fourth Annual Lewis College Graduate Research Conference, Georgia State University
- 2019 – present Online Education Committee, Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing and Health Professions.
- 2019 – Planning Committee member, mHealth@GSUPeer Reviewer:
American Journal of Occupational Therapy, Journal of Medical Internet Research, Disability and RehabilitationOffices held:
Co-Chair, Communications Task Force, Technology Networking Group, ACRM
Honors and Awards
- Winner of 2019 International NG Poster Award at the Annual Conference of American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.
- 2nd place, UB Aging Innovation Challenge, Final Competition. Feb 28, 2019.
- Finalist in HeroX New York State’s Aging Innovation Challenge, Nov 29, 2018.
- 2nd place, UB Aging Innovation Pitch Competition. Nov 2, 2018.
- 1st place, Poster presentation, Network in Aging of Western New York – 38th Annual meeting and conference, Depew, NY. Nov 1, 2018.
- 2nd place, Three-minute pitch presentation, 10th Annual Postdoctoral symposium, University at Buffalo, NY.
- Global Health Fieldwork Award, University at Buffalo, NY.
- J. Warren Perry Scholarship, University at Buffalo, NY.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, University at Buffalo, NY.
- Academic Recognition, Manipal University, India.