Sujay GalenAssociate Dean of Research and Chair of Physical Therapy Dean's Office, Physical Therapy
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK, 2011
Doctor of Philosophy, Bioengineering, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK, 2006
MSc Bioengineering (Distinction), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK, 2001
Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India, 1998
- Development of outcome measures and assessment tools for clinical application, including smart sensors and wireless devices.
- Human movement analysis using 3D motion capture systems and electromyography.
- Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES).
- Non-invasive brain stimulation techniques including Transcranial Magnectic Stimulation.
- Pepin ME, Devour A, Coolsaet R, Galen S. Correlation Between Functional Ability and Physical Activity in Individuals With Transtibial Amputations. 2018; Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal: June 13, 2018 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print - Issue – p doi: 10.1097/CPT.0000000000000091
- Begam M, Collier AF, Muellar AL, Roche R, Galen S, Roche JA.Diltiazem improves contractile properties of skeletal muscle in dysferlin-deficient BLAJ mice, but does not reduce contraction-induced muscle damage. Physiological reports. 2018; 6(11):e13727.PMID: 29890050
- Liu J, Lee I, Feng HZ, Galen S, Hüttemann PP, Perkins GA, Jin JP, Hüttemann M, Malek MH. Aerobic exercise preconception and during pregnancy enhances oxidative capacity in the hindlimb muscles of mice offspring.Journal of strength and conditioning research. 2018;PMID: 29309390.
- Pepin ME, Akers KG, Galen S.Physical activity in individuals with lower extremity amputations: a narrative review.Physical Therapy Reviews. 2018;23(2):77-87
- Fritz H, Patzer D, Galen S. Robotic exoskeletons for reengaging in everyday activies: promises, pitfalls, and opportunities. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2017;Disability and rehabilitation. 2017; :1-4. PMID:29110547
- Roche JA, Begam M, Galen S. Minimally Invasive Muscle Embedding (MIME) - A Novel Experimental Technique to Facilitate Donor-Cell-Mediated Myogenesis. Journal of Visualized experiments. 2017;(126). PMID: 28872121.
- Finkbiner MJ, Gaina KM, McRandall MC, Wolf MM, Pardo VM, Reid K, Adams B, Galen S. Video Movement Analysis using Smartphones (VIMAS): A pilot study. Journal of Visualized experiments. 2017;(121). PMID: 28362382.
- Dunleavy K, Galen S, Reid K, Dhar P, DiZazzo-Miller R. Impact of interprofessional peer teaching on physical and occupational therapy student's professional role identity. Journal of interprofessional education & practice. 2017;6:1-5.
- Morse J, Pallaska G, Pierce P, Fields T, Galen S, Malek M. Acute Low-Dose Caffeine Supplementation Increases Electromyographic Fatigue Threshold in Healthy Men. J Strength Cond Res. 2016;30(11):3236-3241. PMID: 27942236.
- Des Jardins AM, Schiller M, Eraqi E, Samuels AN, Galen S. Validity of a wireless gait analysis tool (Wi-GAT) in assessing spatio-temporal gait parameters at slow, preferred and fast walking speeds. Technology and Health care. 2016;24(6):843-852. PMID: 27392831.
Rehabilitative Interventions for Rejuvenating the Regenerative Potential of Skeletal Muscle.
Grant awarded by: National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Grant ID: 1R03HD091648-01 Grant mechanism: R03
Funding duration: 2017-19
Funds awarded: $100,000
Exploratory Studies on Muscle Activation using NuStep/INS9
Grant awarded by: Small Company Innovation Program (SCIP)/Technology and Commercialization Assistance (TCA) – State of Michigan/NuStep sponsored Grant Grant mechanism: Small Companies Innovation Program
Funding Period: 2017-18
Funds duration: $80,000
Role: Principal Investigator
Industrial Collaborator: NuStep Inc. Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
Novel Rehabilitation Interventions for Muscle Loss
Grant awarded by: Alliance for Regenerative Rehabilitation Research and Training (AR3T)
Funding duration: 2016-17
Funds awarded: $20,000
Developing a multi-pronged strategy for the clinical management of dysferlinopathies.
Grant awarded by: Jain Foundation Grant
Funding duration: 2014-16
Funds received: $100,000
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, UK
- Society of Neuroscience
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Michigan Physical Therapy Association
- American Spinal Injury Association
- Editorial Board Member, Medical Engineering and Physics.
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Sports and Exercise Medicine.
Awards and Honors
- 2015 SAGE Best Paper Prize in 2014 awarded by the Editorial Board of Journal of Engineering in Medicine.
- 2014 Training in Grantsmanship for Rehabilitation Research (TIGRR). Selected as a Mentee by a review committee from many applications submitted at a national level.
- 2014 People’s Choice Award for Best Research Presentation, International Spinal Cord Injury Network Meeting, Toronto, Canada.