PhD, Nutrition and Food Science, Florida State University (2015)
MS, Nutrition and Food Science, Florida State University (2011)
BS, Nutrition, Federal University of Goias, Brazil (2003)
Dr. Feresin’s research aims to investigate the role of functional foods, bioactive compounds and other dietary interventions in preventing and/or improving chronic diseases such as hypertension and osteoporosis.
- Pourafshar S, Johnson SA, Keshavarz B, Feresin RG, Khalil DA, Arjmandi BH. The effects of supplemental vitamin E on hematological parameters in a rat model of ovarian hormone deficiency. Menopause. 2018; 25(3):336-342.
- Feresin RG,Johnson SA, Pourafshar S, Campbell JC, Jaime SJ, Navaei N, Elam ML, Alvarez-Alvarado S, Akhavan N, Tenenbaum G, Brummel-Smith K, Figueroa A, Arjmandi BH. Impact of daily strawberry consumption on blood pressure and arterial stiffness in pre- and stage 1-hypertensive postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Food and Function. 2017; 8(11):4139-4149. PMID: 29099521.
- Feresin RG, Pourafshar S, Huwang J, Zhao Y, Arjmandi BH, Salazar G. Extraction and purification from freeze-dried berry powder for the treatment of vascular smooth muscle cells. J Vis Exp. 2017 Jul 5;(125). PMID: 28715389.
- Salazar G, Huang J, Feresin RG, Zhao Y, Griendling KK. Zinc regulates Nox1 expression through a NF-kB and mitochondrial ROS dependent mechanism to induce senescence of vascular smooth muscle cells. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2017; 108:225-235. PMID: 28363602.
- Johnson SA, Feresin RG, Navaei N, Figueroa A, Elam ML, Akhavan N, Payton ME, Arjmandi BH. Effects of blueberries on oxidative stress, inflammation, and antioxidant defense in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1-hypertension in a randomized controlled trial. Food & Function. 2017; 8(1): 372-380. PMID: 28059417.
- Feresin RG, Huwang J, Zhao Y, Klarich D, Pourafshar S, Arjmandi BH, Salazar G. Blackberry, raspberry and black raspberry polyphenol extracts attenuate angiotensin II-induced senescence in vascular smooth muscle cells. Food & Function. 2016; 7(10):4175-4187. PMID: 27506987.
- Figueroa A, Alvarez-Alvarado S, Jaime SJ, Johnson SA, Campbell JC, Feresin RG, Elam ML, Navaei N, Pourafshar S, Arjmandi BH. Influence of low and normal appendicular lean mass on central blood pressure and wave reflection responses to muscle metaboreflex activation in postmenopausal women. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2016; 43(12): 1243-1246. PMID: 27558210.
- Zhao Y, Feresin RG, Falcon-Perez J, Salazar G. Differential Targeting of SLC30A10/ZnT10 heterodimers to endolysosomal compartments modulates EGF-induced MEK/ERK1/2 Activity. Traffic. 2016; 17(3):267-288. PMID: 26728129.
- Johnson SA, Feresin RG, Soung DY, Elam, ML, Arjmandi BH. Vitamin E suppresses ex vivo osteoclastogenesis in ovariectomized rats. Food & Function. 2016; 16(3):1628-1633. PMID: 26923532.
- Figueroa A, Jaime S, Johnson SA, Alvarez-Alvarado S, Campbell J, Feresin RG, Marcus L. Elam, Arjmandi BH. Impact of age on aortic blood pressure and wave reflection responses to metaboreflex activation in postmenopausal women. Experimental Gerontology. 2015; 70:119-124. PMID: 26192974.
- Johnson SA, Figueroa A, Navaei N, Wong A, Kalfon R, Ormsbee LT, Feresin RG, Elam ML, Hooshmand S, Payton ME, Arjmandi BH. Daily blueberry consumption improves blood pressure and arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1-hypertension. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2015; 115(3):369-77. PMID: 25578927.
- Elam ML, Johnson SA, Hooshmand S, Feresin RG, Payton ME, Gu J, Arjmandi, BH. A calcium-collagen chelate dietary supplement attenuates bone loss in postmenopausal women with osteopenia. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2014; 21(12):1292-7. PMID: 25314004.
- Feresin RG, Johnson SA, Elam ML, Arjmandi BH, Hakkak R. The effects of obesity on bone mass and quality in ovariectomized female Zucker rats. Journal of Obesity. 2014; 2014:690123. PMID: 25309751.
- Bakhshalian N, Johnson SA, Feresin RG, Elam ML, Song DY, Arjmandi BH. Dietary phosphorus exacerbates bone loss induced by cadmium in ovariectomized rats. 2014; 21(12):1292-7. PMID: 24736197.
- Feresin RG, Johnson SA, Elam ML, Kim J, Khalil DA, Lucas EA, Smith BS, Payton ME, Akhter MP, Arjmandi, BH. Effects of vitamin E on bone biomechanical and histomorphometric parameters in ovariectomized rats. Journal of Osteoporosis. 2013; 2013:825985. PMID: 24089643.
- Feresin RG (PI), Wanders D and Chassaing, B. Berries Prevent Hypertension and Cardiac Damage by Modulating the Gut Microbiota and Attenuating Oxidative Stress and Inflammation. NIFA-USDA.$500,000. March 2019- February 2022.
- Feresin RG (PI),Wanders D and Chassaing B. Impact of berry consumption on gut microbiota, inflammation and insulin resistance.The Lewis Foundation Award.April 2018-June 2019.
- Feresin RG (PI). The protective role of blackberries and raspberries in angiotensin II-induced hypertension. Arkansas Biosciences Institute.July 2016-June 2017.
- Feresin RG (PI). The effects of blackberry and black raspberry polyphenol extracts on osteoclast differentiation and activity. Medical Research Endowment-Herbert L. Thomas, Sr., Memorial Award.January 2016-June 2017.
- Feresin RG (PI). The protective role of blueberries in endothelial cells. Dean’s Society Grant-College of Health Professions-University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.January 2016-June 2017.
- Salazar G, Feresin RG (Co-PI). Determining the protective role of various berry polyphenol extracts in senescence of vascular smooth muscle cells. Center for Research and Creativity-Florida State University. May-August 2015.
- Arjmandi BH, Figueroa A, Feresin RG (Co-I). Daily incorporation of strawberries into a diet favorably improves vascular function and lowers aortic blood pressure in postmenopausal women with prehypertension. Investigator Initiated Grant, Strawberry California Commission. January 2012 – December 2014.
- Arjmandi BH, Feresin RG (Co-PI). The relationship between sex hormones and the severity of osteoarthritis. Center for Research and Creativity-Florida State University.May-August 2012.
- American Society for Nutrition
- American Heart Association
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Ad-Hoc Manuscript Reviewer
- Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports
- Clinical interventions in Aging
- International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences
- International Journal of Nutritional Sciences
- Journal of Food and Nutritional Disorders
- Journal of Medicinal Food
- Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry
Awards and Honors
- Finalist, Emerging Leader in Nutrition Science Poster Competition, Dietary Bioactive Components Research Interest Section. American Society for Nutrition. Experimental Biology, Boston, MA. April 2015.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award Nominee, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. April 2015.
- Research Travel Award, Graduate Student Advisory Council, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. April 2013 and April 2015.
- Research Travel Award, Congress of Graduate Students, The Graduate School, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. April 2013, April 2014 and April 2015.
- Dissertation Award, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. October 2014.
- Golden Key International Honor Society. February 2013.
- Dissertation Research Grant Award, The Graduate School, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. November 2013.
- NIH Dietary Supplement Workshop Travel Award, Office of Dietary Supplement/American Society for Nutrition. June 2012.
- Glenn Society. April 2012.
- Kappa Omicron Nu National Honor Society. April 2012.
- Anne Marie Edward Scholarship Recipient, Department of Nutrition, Food, & Exercise Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. April 2012.
- Second Place Poster Presentation Award, Research & Creativity Day, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. February 2011.
- Scholarship Recipient, Latin American Caribbean, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. August 2009-May 2015.