University of Rochester, Rochester, New York (1998)
MSN Nursing (Gerontology)
University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky (1983)
University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama (1980)
Mastin School of Nursing, Mobile, Alabama (1975)
Chronic Illness (stroke, heart failure, Alzheimer’s disease)
- Clark, PC, Aycock, DM, Reiss, A, Tanner, D, Shenvi, NV, Easley, KA, Wolf, SL (in press). BTX-A and exercise for stroke survivors: Exploration of potential caregiver benefits. Rehabilitation Nursing
- Dunbar, S.B., Clark, PC, Reilly, C.M., Gary, R.A., Smith, A., McCarty, F., Higgins, M., Grossniklaus, D., Kaslow,N., Frediani, J., Dashiff, C., & Ryan, R. (in press). A trial of family partnership and education interventions in heart failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure
- Aycock, DM, Kirkendoll, KD, Coleman, KC, Clark, PC, Albright, KC & Alexandrov, AW (in press). Family history of stroke among African Americans and its association with stroke risk factors, knowledge, perceptions and exercise. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing.
- Hall, E., Lee, S., Clark, PC, & Perilla, J. (in press). Social ecology of adherence to hypertension treatment in Latino migrant and seasonal farmworkers. Journal of Transcultural NursingKlinedinest, NJ, Clark, PC, & Dunbar, SD (2013). Older adult stroke survivors discussing post-stroke depressive symptoms with a healthcare provider: A preliminary analysis. Rehabilitation Psychology, electronic publication, Jul 15.
- Pawl, JD, Lee, S, Clark, PC & Sherwood, PR (2013). Sleep loss and its effects on health of family caregivers of individuals with primary malignant brain tumors, Research in Nursing &Health, 36, 386-99
- Pawl, JD, Lee, S, Clark, PC &Sherwood, PR (2013). Sleep characteristics of family caregivers of person with a primary malignant brain tumor. Nursing Oncology Forum 40 (2), 1-9
- Moore, LC, Clark, PC, Lee, S, Eriksen, M, Evans, K & Smith, C (2012_puhlished ahead of print). Factors that influence smoking cessation in women who experience an invasive cardiovascular procedure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing.
- Foster, V, Clark, PC, Holstad, M, Burgess, E (2012). Factors associated with risky sexual behaviors in older adults. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 23, 487-499
- Cha, E.S, Clark, PC, Reilly, CM., Higgins, MK, Lobb, M, Smith, AL & Dunbar, SB (2012). Educational needs for improving self-care in heart failure patients with diabetes, Diabetes Educator, 38 (5) 673-684 (published early online June 2012)
- Klinedinst, NJ, Dunbar, SB, Clark, PC (2012). Stroke survivor and informal caregiver perceptions of post-stroke depressive symptoms. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 44(2), 72-81
- Wolf, SL, Milton, B, Reiss, A, Easley, K, Shenvi, NV, Clark, PC. (2012) Further assessment to determine the additive effect of Botulinum Toxin A on upper extremity exercise program to enhance function among individuals with chronic stroke but extensor capability. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 93, 578-587Frediani, JK, Rielly, CM, Higgins, M, Clark, PC, Gary, RA, & Dunbar, SB (2012). Quality and adequacy of dietary intake in a southern urban heart failure population, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, published ahead of print doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e318242279e
- Polovich, M., & Clark, PC (2012). Factors influencing oncology nurses’ use of hazardous drug safe handling precautions. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39 (3), E299-309Minick, PM, Clark, PC, Dalton, J.A., Horne, E, Greene, D, & Brown, M. (2012) Long-bone fracture pain management in the emergency department. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 38(30, 211-7 (Refereed)
- Miller, E.L., Murray, L., Richards, L., Zorowitz, R.D., Bakas, T., Clark, P., Billinger, S.A., and on behalf of the American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and the Stroke Council (2010). Comprehensive overview of nursing and interdisciplinary rehabilitation care of the stroke patient: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Stroke, 41, 000-000. Full text accessed on 9/3/10 at http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/STR.0b013e3181e7512bv1.pdf (Refereed) Awarded the 2010 Stroke manuscript of the year by Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association)
- Quinn, C, Dunbar, SB, Clark, PC, Strickland, O. (2010) Challenges and strategies in dyad research: Cardiovascular examples. Applied Nursing Research, 23, e15-20. (Refereed)
- Kirkendoll, KD, Clark, PC, Grossniklaus, DA, Igho-Pemu, P, Mullis, RM & Dunbar, SB (2010) Metabolic syndrome in African Americans: Views on making lifestyle changes. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 21, 104-113 (Refereed)
- Brown, L J., Clark, PC, Armstrong, K, Liping, Zhao, Dunbar, SB (2010). Identification of chronic kidney disease modifiable risk factors by gender in an African American metabolic syndrome cohort. Nephrology Nurse Journal, 37, 133-41
- McClendon, D.A., Dunbar, S.B., Clark, P.C. & Coverson, D. (2010). An analysis of popular weight loss diet types in relation to Metabolic Syndrome therapeutic guidelines. MEDSURG Nursing,19 (1),17-24 (Refereed)
- Klinedinst, NJ, Gebhardt, MC, Aycock, DM, Nichols-Larsen, DS, Uswatte, G, Wolf, SL & Clark, PC (2009). Caregiver characteristics predict stroke survivor quality of life at 4 months and 1 year. Research in Nursing & Health, 32, 592-605 Awarded the 2010 Stroke Article of the Year by the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association
- Clark, PC, Dunbar, SB, Aycock, DM, Blanton, S, Wolf, SL. (2009) Pros and woes of interdisciplinary collaboration with a national clinical trial. Journal of Professional Nursing, 25, 93-100. (Refereed)
- Reilly, CM, Higgins, M, Smith, A, Gary, RA, Robinson, J., Clark, PC, McCarty, F, & Dunbar, SB (2009).Development, psychometric testing, and revision of the Atlanta Heart Failure Knowledge Test. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 24,500-509 (Refereed)
- Mayer, R, Wells, TJ, Brink, CA, & Clark, P. (1994). Correlations between dynamic urethral profilometry
Abstracts and Proceedings
- Clark, PC, Aycock, DM, Reiss, A, Tanner, D, Shenvi, NV, Easley, KA, Wolf, SL (2011). Treatment for stroke survivor upper extremity spasticity may benefit caregivers: A preliminary study. STROKE, 42(3), E61-E61 March
- Dunbar, SB, Clark, PC, Smith, AL, et al. (2010). Family partnership and education interventions to reduce dietary sodium by patients with heart failure differ by family functioning. European Heart Journal, 31, 229-230 Suppl 1. Sept.
- Polovich, M. & Clark, P.C. (2010) Nurses’ use of hazardous drug safe handling precautions (Abstract #4368). Oncology Nursing Forum, 37(3):E228.
- Dunbar, SB Clark, PC, Smith, AL, et al. (2009). Family partnership and education interventions reduce dietary sodium intake by patients with heart failure. Circulation,120, S499-S499.
- Holland, JD, Clark, PC, McCarty, F, & Dunbar, SB (2009). A comparison of knowledge in three literacy dyads of patients with heart failure. Poster presentation Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, February 2009, Baltimore, MD
- Brown, LJ, Armstrong, K, Clark, PC, Pemu, PI, Zhao, L & Dunbar, SB (2009). Identification of chronic kidney disease modifiable risk factors by gender in an African American Metabolic Syndrome cohort. Poster presentation Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, February 2009, Baltimore, MD
- Foster, V, Holstad, M, Clark, PC (2009). Assessing the HIV educational needs of older adults. Poster presentation Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, February 2009, Baltimore, MD
- Dunbar, SB, Clark, PC, Gary, RA, et al. (2009). HF family caregiver outcomes and associated factors. Journal of Cardiac Failure, 15, S108-S109
Selected Funded Research
- 1-UB4HP19215-01-00 T. Johnson (PD) 7/1/10-6/30/15
HRSA (contract) Atlanta Regional Geriatric Education Center – Collaboration Allows for Enhanced Senior Care (COALESCE) The funding supports the development of a geriatric education consortium for the Atlanta area. N. Kropf (GSU Site Lead) Role: Site Co-Lead
- Exploring Rehabilitation Treatment Effects: Stroke Survivor Quality of Life and Family Caregiver Outcomes 05/01/07 – 5/30/11, (PI) Allergan, Inc.
- Nurses Use of Hazardous Drug Safe Handlin” Co-Investigator PI: M. Polovich, Oncology Nursing Society Foundation Small Grant Award (Total $9,550)
- A Family Partnership Intervention for Heart Failure, (R01NR08800-01A1) 07/01/04-11/30/09(Co-Investigator) PI: S. Dunbar, DSN, RN, FAAN, Emory University NINR, NIH
- The Emory-Morehouse Partnership to Reduce Cardiovascular Health Disparities 10/01/04-09/3/09, (Co-Investigator, AIM II5 % effort, PI: AIM II: S. Dunbar, DSN, RN, FAAN, Emory University PI: A. Quyyumi, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), NIH
- A Preliminary Test of a Carepartner-Integrated Telehealth Rehabilitation Program for Persons with Stroke PI: S. Blanton, DPT, NCS (Co-I P. Clark) Emory-Georgia Tech Healthcare Innovation Program (HIP) ($25,000)
- Family Centered Care of Stroke Survivors and Caregivers to Facilitate Health Related Quality of Life Assessment and Treatment PI: Sarah Blanton, DPT, NCS ($12,000) 7/07-6/08 (Co-I: P. Clark) Emory Neurosciences Center.
- Improving self-management and outcomes in heart failure patients with diabetes, PI: S.B.Dunbar, EmoryUniversity, (1R21NR011204-01) 09/1/09-08/31/11 Role: Consultant
- A Web-Based Hypertension Self-Management Program, PI: DI Knonicki,(1R43DP0015113-01) 2009-2010 Role: Consultant
- Clark PC (2012, Invited). Best practices in caregiving for person with stroke. 25th Anniversary Summit Rosalynn Carter Caregiving Institute, Enabling Caregiving Across the Lifespan. October.
- Aycock, D.M. & Clark, P.C. (2013). Accuracy of Perceived Stroke Risk among Young to Middle-Aged Rural African Americans. International Stroke Conference, Honolulu, HI.
- Clark, PC & Aycock, DM (2011) (Invited). The stroke of a pen: Getting a manuscript published: Practical tools and advice from a novice and expert. State-of-the-Art Nursing Symposium, American Stroke Association International Stroke Conference, Los Angeles, CA, Feb. 8Clark, PC, Aycock, DM, Reiss, A, Tanner, D., Wolf, SL (2011). Treatment for stroke survivor upper extremity spasticity may benefit caregivers: A preliminary study. 2011 International Stroke Conference, American Stroke Association, Los Angeles, CA, Feb 9
- Clark, PC (2010) Translating Clinical Research into Monday Morning Clinical Practice. (Invited) State of the Art Nursing Symposium, American Stroke Association International Stroke Conference, San Antonio, TX, Feb. 22
- Moore, L., Clark, PC, Eriksen, M. (2012). Correlates of commitment to stop smoking in women who experience an invasive cardiovascular procedure. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, New OrleansClark, PC, Blanton, S., Aycock, DM, Cussen, D, Holmes, A, Regan, B & Schwartz, C. & Tanner, D. (2011) An intervention to involve care partners in rehabilitation of stroke survivors reduces family conflict surrounding stroke recovery: A pilot study. Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Jacksonville, FL, Feb 2011
- Clark, PC. (2011) (Invited panelist) Transitioning your school paper into a manuscript. Doctoral pre-conference workshop, Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, Jacksonville, FL,
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2013 Meritorious Achievement Award from AHA, Member of a Stroke Nursing Task Force that started the successful State-of-the-Science Stroke Nursing Symposium prior to International Stroke Conf.
- 2010 Distinguished Alumni Award, one of 50 distinguished alumni for the 50th Anniversary, University of Kentucky College of Nursing
- 2009 Competence in Aging award for distinguished cardiovascular research with older adults, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, AHA, presented at 2009 Scientific Sessions
- 2006 Stroke Article of the Year Award, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, AHA and Editor’s Choice award for Manuscript of the Year, Rehabilitation Nursing
- 2005 Inducted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing
Selected Professional Service
- 2010-2013 Abstract Reviewer, State-of-the-Art Nursing Symposium and International Stroke, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing, AHA
- 2010-present Reviewer, Research in Nursing & Health
- 2006-present Reviewer, International Journal of Nursing Studies
- 2005-2010 Editorial Board, Rehabilitation Nursing
- 2005-present Reviewer, Nursing Research
- 2003-present Reviewer, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
- 2006-present Member, Board of Directors, Rosalynn Carter Institute on Caregiving