PhD in Nutrition and Health Sciences, Emory University (2016)
MS in Nutrition (Coordinated Program), Georgia State University (2010)
MSc in Health Sciences (Dietetics), University of Pune, India (2009)
BHSc in Foods and Nutrition (Nutrition and Dietetics), SNDT Women's University, lndia (2006)
Dr. Shaikh’s research is focused on the intersection between nutrition and chronic diseases (obesity, diabetes, and mental health) and in developing dietary assessment instruments to assess shifts in diets following globalization and development.
- 2022 Jones, RE., Patil, S., Datar, A., Shaikh, NI., Cunningham, SA. Food Choices in the Context of Globalizing Food Options among Adolescents in Rural Southern India. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 2022:1-20.
- 2021 Cunningham SA, Shaikh NI, Datar A, Chernishkin A, Patil SS. Food subsidies, nutrition transition, and dietary patterns in a remote Indian district. Global Food Security. 29, 100506.
- 2020 Frediani JK, Shaikh NI, Weber MB. Exercise patterns and perceptions among South Asian adults in the US: the SHAPE study. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2020;5(10)
- 2020 Moitra P, Madan J. Shaikh NI. Eating habits and sleep patterns of adolescents with depression symptoms in Mumbai, India. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 2020;16 Suppl 3:e12998.
2020 Perham J, Shaikh NI, Lee A, Darling KA, Rucklidge JJ. Toward Mineral “Balance” in ADHD: An Exploratory Case Control Study Employing Hair Analysis. Nutritional Neuroscience. 2020: 1:11.
- 2019 Cunningham SA, Shaikh NI, Wilkinson AL, Raghunathan. P, Breiman R et al. Health and demographic surveillance within the child health and mortality prevention surveillance network. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2019: 69 (Supplement_4): S274-S279.
- 2019 Khandelwal S, Verma G, Shaikh NI, Siegel KR, Soni D, Soni D, Thow AM. Mapping of policies related to fruits and vegetable accessibility in India. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. 2019.
Khan FN, Shaikh NI, Ali MK, Venkat Narayan KM. Diabetes Mellitus. Oxford Textbook of Global Public Health. 7th edition. Editors: Roger Detels, Alastair Leyland, Fran Baum, Liming Li, and Quarraisha Abdool Karim. Accepted.
- 2021 Shaikh, N., Vispute, S., & Khadilkar, A. (2021). Comparison of the Nutrition Transition Among Adolescents Ages 13–18 years in Six States in India: The Multicenter Study. Current Developments in Nutrition, 5(Supplement_2), 686-686. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzab045_068
- 2021 Shaikh, N., Rautela, G., Galaviz, K., Tandon, N., Narayan, K. V., Chwastiak, L., Ali, M. K. (2021). Diet Intake and Patterns in Adults With and Without Depression in South Asia. Current Developments in Nutrition, 5(Supplement_2), 453-453. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzab038_065
- 2021 Vispute, S., Shaikh, N., Mandlik, R., Gondhalekar, K., Patwardhan, V., & Khadilkar, A. (2021). Are Rural Indian Children and Adolescents Ages 9–18 years at Risk of Hypertension? A Multicenter Study. Current Developments in Nutrition, 5(Supplement_2), 192-192. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzab035_100
- 2021 Rabeeah, Z., Shaikh, N., & Cunningham, S. (2021). Changes in International Students’ Dietary Habits, Physical Activity and BMI During Their First Year After Relocating to the U.S. Current Developments in Nutrition, 5(Supplement_2), 680-680. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzab045_062
- 2019 Ford CN, Staimez LR, Shaikh NI, Tandon N, Prabhakaran D, Narayan KM, Garg V. Dietary Index of Insulin Resistance and Insulin Secretion Predicts Diabetes Risk in Asian Indians. Diabetes 2019 Jun; 68 (Supplement 1).
Lewis College Tenure-Track/Tenured Faculty Intramural Grant 01/14/2022-01/13/2023
Development of culturally-tailored mHealth messages for Diabetes Prevention Program in new immigrants in the U.S.: a pilot study The goal of this study is to understand new immigrants’ lived experiences with prediabetes and perceptions towards diabetes. We then aim to create an archive of culturally-tailored diabetes prevention messages to prevent diabetes in recent immigrants, ages 20 and older, with prediabetes in the US.
Role: Principal Investigator
Lewis Foundation Grant Program, GSU 07/20/2021-07/19/2023
Assessing Nutrition- and- Mealtime-Management Related Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Among Caregivers of Children with Cerebral Palsy in India
The goal of this needs assessment study is to understand the nutrition-and mealtime-management related factors that affect feeding practices of caregivers of children with Cerebral Palsy.
Role: Co- Principal Investigator
Faculty International Partnership Engagement (FIPE), GSU 07/31/2020-06/30/2021
Nutrition and Mealtime Related Experiences of Caregivers of Children with Cerebral Palsy in India
The goal of this study is to identify mealtime-related needs and practices for Community Based Rehabilitation workers and to plan a larger grant proposal to develop intervention-based educational strategies for mealtime with children with Cerebral Palsy in India.
Amy Joye Memorial Research Grant Award 03/01/2019-09/30/2021
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation
Evaluation of a Semi-Quantitative Food Frequency Questionnaire to Assess Nutrition Transition in Asian Indian Adults
The goal of this study is to evaluate the reproducibility and validity of a FFQ to measure nutrition transition among adults in South India.
Role: Principal Investigator
2018- Member, Greater Atlanta Dietetic Association
2015-16 Member, American Sociological Association
2013- Member, Indian Dietetic Association
2011 Georgia Nutrition Council
2010- Member, American Society for Nutrition
2009- Member, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
2009- Member, Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2022- present Committee Member, Academic Program Review (APR) Committee
- 2022-2023 Editor, Building Block for Life (BBFL), Pediatric Nutrition Practice Group, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2021-2022 Co-Editor, Building Block for Life (BBFL), Pediatric Nutrition Practice Group, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2021- present New Administrative Specialist Search Committee Member, Department of Nutrition,
GSU. Department Committee Service
- 2021- present Developed Lewis College’s Global Scholars Distinction program (College Service)
- 2021- present Faculty Advisor to the Department’s Student Media Liaison. Department service.
- 2021- present Review Editor, Frontiers in Public Health, Public Health and Nutrition (from April 20, 2021)
- 2021 Poster Presentation Judge, Sixth Annual Lewis College Graduate Research Conference, GSU (April 12 2021)
- 2020 Committee Member, Lewis COACHE Survey – Ad-hoc Committee, December 1, 2020 to February 10, 2021 (9 weeks)
- 2020 Ad-Hoc Committee Member, Grants and Awards, Pediatric Nutrition Practice Group, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2020- present Member, Lewis College Graduate Faculty Committee
- 2019 Poster Presentation Judge, Fifth Annual Lewis College Graduate Research Conference, GSU (March 19 2020)
- 2019- 2020 Associate Editor, Building Block for Life (BBFL), Pediatric Nutrition Practice Group,
- 2019 Poster Presentation Judge, Fourth Annual Lewis College Graduate Research Conference, GSU (April 8 2019)
PLOS ONE, BMJ Open, The Lancet Planetary Health, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, Nutrition and Food Sciences, Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Awards and Honors
- 2021 Virtual Exchange Program Professional Development Award, GSU
- 2019 Distinguished Service as a Research Award, Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics