PhD-Nursing, University of Miami, 2012
BSN , Johns Hopkins University, 2007
BS-Psych/Health Science/Healthcare Mgmt, SUNY Stony Brook, 2005
- Clinical Research
- Infectious Disease/Immunological Disorders
- Exploration of cultural influences and factors on the risk for HIV infection and HIV-related stigma.
- Whyte, J., Whyte, M., & Hires, K. A. (2015). A Study of HIV Positive Undocumented African Migrants’ Access to Health Services in the UK. AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV, doi:10.1080/09540121.2014.993581
- Cianelli, R., Villegas, N., De Oliviera, G., Hires, K., Gattamorta, K., Peragallo, N., & Ferrer, L. (2015). Predictors of HIV Enacted Stigma Among Chilean Women. Journal of Clinical Nursing, doi: 10.1111/jocn.12792.
- Hires, K. A., & Fenelus, S. (2015, July). Culture, Sex & Perceptions of HIV Risk Among Ethnic Groups from the African Diaspora. Sigma Theta Tau International’s 26th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honour Society, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Fenelus, S. & Hires, K.A. (2015, June). Cultural Identity, Gender Roles & Health Among Black Women in the United States: An Exploratory Study. Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Cultural Inclusion Institute: Valuing the Culture of Women, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Orlando, FL
- Hires, K. A., & Fenelus, S. (2014, December). Online or Offline: Recruitment Strategies for Ethnically Diverse Men & Women for an HIV Risk Study. Poster presentation at International Symposium on Minority Health & Health Disparities, NIH/NIMHD, National Harbor, MD.
- Hires, K. A. (2013, July). Predictors of HIV/AIDS Related Stigma Among Anglophone Caribbean Women. Paper presented at 24th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honour Society, Prague, Czech Republic.
- National Educators Association
- National League of Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
- Bulletin of the World Health Organization [WHO](Aug 2014–present).
- International Nurse Review (Jan 2014–present).
- Journal of Community Health Nursing (Jan 2013–present).
Awards and Honors
- Guardian of the Flame Teaching Excellence Award, Florida State University Burning Spear Society (2014).
- Stony Brook University Distinguished Alumni Award, Stony Brook University – Health Science Program (2012).
- Jonas Nursing Scholar, Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence (2010-2012).