PhD-Nursing, University of Miami, 2012
BSN , Johns Hopkins University, 2007
BS-Psych/Health Science/Healthcare Mgmt, SUNY Stony Brook, 2005
- Clinical Research
- Infectious Disease/Immunological Disorders
- Exploration of cultural influences and factors on the risk for HIV infection and HIV-related stigma.
- Nursing Leadership Development
- Nurse Retention
- Nursing Andragogy
- Hires, K. (2019, February). The cost of retaliation. Georgia Nursing. [Publication of the Georgia Nurses Association].
- Hires, K. (2018, August). Nursing leadership and the future of nursing. Georgia Nursing. [Publication of the Georgia Nurses Association].
- Adebayo, M., Geller, R., Hires, K. & Killian, S. (2018). Strategies for Improving Documentation of
Medication Overrides. Journal of Informatics Nursing, 3:3, p22-26.
- Hires, K. (2018, January). Five ways to help millennials develop soft skills. Reflections on Nursing Leadership. [Publication of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honour Society]
- Whyte, J., Whyte, M., & Hires, K. A. (2015). A Study of HIV Positive Undocumented African Migrants’ Access to Health Services in the UK. AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV, doi:10.1080/09540121.2014.993581
- Cianelli, R., Villegas, N., De Oliviera, G., Hires, K., Gattamorta, K., Peragallo, N., & Ferrer, L. (2015). Predictors of HIV Enacted Stigma Among Chilean Women. Journal of Clinical Nursing, doi: 10.1111/jocn.12792.
- [Podium]Hires, K., “Transformational Nursing Leadership: The Key to Innovation & Influence,” University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa. (July 2018).
- [Poster]Hires, K., “Coaching: Exploring an Innovative Approach to Support Retention & Progression of DNP Students,” 44th Annual Conference of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF), National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America. (April 2018).
- [Podium]Leading millennial nurses: Strategies for engagement and retention. Georgia Healthcare Association (March 2018
- [Webinar]Soft skill development in millennial nurses. Georgia Healthcare Association (April 2018)
- [Podium]Hires, K. “Transforming the Nurse Leader Within: Maximizing Your Leadership Potential,” 2nd Annual UAPRN of Georgia Conference: United We Stand, UAPRN Georgia, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America. (October 2017)
- [Podium]Hires, K., “Going Beyond Communication,” 48th Annual Conference of the Florida Association of Peri-Anesthesia Nurses, Florida Association of Peri-Anesthesia Nurses, Tampa. (September 2017).
- [Podium]Hires, K., “Horizontal Violence in Nursing,” 48th Annual Conference of the Florida Association of Peri-Anesthesia Nurses, Florida Association of Peri-Anesthesia Nurses Association, Tampa, Florida. (September 2017).
- Hires, K., “Half the Battle: Choosing the Right Statistical Test,” 11th Annual Evidence-Based Practice/Nursing Research Conference, WellStar Health System, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America. (September 22, 2017).
- Hires, K. A., & Fenelus, S. (2015, July). Culture, Sex & Perceptions of HIV Risk Among Ethnic Groups from the African Diaspora. Sigma Theta Tau International’s 26th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honour Society, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Fenelus, S. & Hires, K.A. (2015, June). Cultural Identity, Gender Roles & Health Among Black Women in the United States: An Exploratory Study. Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Cultural Inclusion Institute: Valuing the Culture of Women, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Orlando, FL
- Hires, K. A., & Fenelus, S. (2014, December). Online or Offline: Recruitment Strategies for Ethnically Diverse Men & Women for an HIV Risk Study. Poster presentation at International Symposium on Minority Health & Health Disparities, NIH/NIMHD, National Harbor, MD.
- Hires, K. A. (2013, July). Predictors of HIV/AIDS Related Stigma Among Anglophone Caribbean Women. Paper presented at 24th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honour Society, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Hires, K. (PI), Teaching the Whole Student: Development of a Formal Coaching Program for Graduate Nursing Students. “Lewis College Excellence in Teaching Award,” Sponsored by Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing & Health Professions, Georgia State University, $10,000.00.
- Hires, K. (PI), Exploring the Future of Nursing in a Global Context. “Faculty International Partnership Engagement Grant,” Sponsored by Office of International Initiatives, Georgia State University, $5,000.00.
- Hires, K. (PI), Teaching the Whole Student: Measuring DNP Students’ Support Needs for the Development of a Formal Coaching Program. “Lewis College Teacher Scholar Academy Mini Grant Award,” Sponsored by Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing & Health Professions, Georgia State University, $1,000.00.
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF)
- National Educators Association
- National League of Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
- Chair, DNP Committee
- Member, Lewis College International Committee
- Reviewer, Jones & Bartlett Learning (Publisher)
- Reviewer, Journal of Professional Nursing
- Bulletin of the World Health Organization [WHO](Aug 2014–present).
- International Nurse Review (Jan 2014–present).
- Journal of Community Health Nursing (Jan 2013–present).
Awards and Honors
- Lewis College Teaching Excellence Award
- Atlanta 2018 Woman of the Year, People You Need to Know Magazine (Atlanta Edition)
- Guardian of the Flame Teaching Excellence Award, Florida State University Burning Spear Society (2014).
- SUNY Stony Brook University Distinguished Alumni Award, Stony Brook University – Health Science Program (2012).
- Jonas Nursing Scholar, Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence (2010-2012).