Postdoc - Wake Forest School of Medicine, Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
PhD - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Kinesiology
BS - University of Georgia, Exercise and Sports Science
My research focuses on studying the control of human movement to prevent fall-related injuries and improve functional independence in older adults. Specifically, my long term goal is to leverage innovative technologies (e.g., mobile technology, virtual reality, wearable sensors) to prevent falls in older adults by: 1) providing personalized, multifactorial fall risk screening and 2) providing scalable, tailored fall prevention interventions.
- Hsieh K.L., Chen L., & Sosnoff J.J. (2022). Mobile Technology for Falls Prevention in Older Adults. Journal of Gerontology: Series A.
- Beavers D.P., Hsieh K.L., Kitzman D.W., Kritchevsky S.B., Messier S.P., Neiberg R.H., Nicklas B.J., Rejeski W.J., Beavers K.M. (2022). Estimating Heterogeneity of Physical Function Treatment Response to Caloric Restriction Among Older Adults with Obesity. PLOS One. 17(5), e0267779.
- Hsieh K.L., Frechette M.L., Fanning J., Griffin A., Chen L., & Sosnoff J.J. (2022). The Developments and Iterations of a Mobile Technology-Based Fall Risk Health Application. Frontiers in Digital Health. 4, 828686.
- Fanning J., Brooks A.K., Hsieh K.L, Kershner K.I., Furlipa J., Nicklas B.J., Rejeski W.J. (2022). The effects of a pain management-focused mobile health behavior intervention on older adults’ self-efficacy, satisfaction with functioning, and quality of life: A randomized pilot trial. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 29(2), 240-246.
- Hsieh K.L. & Sosnoff J.J. (2021) Smartphone Accelerometry to Assess Postural Control in Individuals with Multiple Sclerosis. Gait and Posture. 84, 114-119.
- Hsieh K.L. & Sosnoff J.J (2020). A Motor Learning Approach to Reducing Fall-Related Injuries. Journal of Motor Behavior. 1-5
- Hsieh K.L., Mirelman A., Shema-Shiratzky S., Galperin I., Regev K., Shen S., Schmitz-Hübsch T., Karni A., Paul F., Devos H., Sosnoff J.J., & Hausdorff J.M. (2020). A Multi-modal Virtual Reality Treadmill Intervention for Enhancing Mobility and Cognitive Function in People with Multiple Sclerosis: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 97, 106122.
- Hsieh K.L., Fanning J.T., & Sosnoff J.J. (2019). A Smartphone Application is Valid and Reliable in Older Adults during Real World Testing. Gerontechnology. 18(1), 29-35.
- Hsieh K.L., Roach K.L., Wajda D.A., & Sosnoff J.J. (2019). Smartphone Technology Can Measure Postural Stability and Distinguish Fall Risk in Older Adults. Gait & Posture, 67, 160-165.
- Hsieh K.L., Fanning J.T., Rogers W.A., Wood T.A., & Sosnoff, J.J. (2018). A Fall Risk mHealth App for Older Adults: Development and Usability Study. JMIR Aging, 1(2), e11569.
- Hsieh K.L., Furlipa J., Brooks A.K., & Fanning J. The Effect of Distributed Physical Activity on Gait in Older Adults with Chronic Pain. North American Congress of Biomechanics. Ottawa, CA.
- Hsieh K.L, Neiburg R.H., Beavers K.M., & Beaveres D.P. Effect of Baseline BMI and IL-6 Subgroup Membership on Gait Speed Response to Caloric Restriction. (2021). Gerontological Society of America. Virtual.
- Hsieh K.L., Fanning J., Frechette M.L., & Sosnoff J.J. The Development and Usability of a Fall Risk Mobile Health Application for Individuals with Multiple Sclerosis. (2021). Society of Behavioral Medicine. Virtual.
- Hsieh K.L. & Sosnoff J.J. Assessing Postural Control with Smartphone Accelerometry in People with Multiple Sclerosis. (2020). American Society of Biomechanics. Virtual.
- Hsieh K.L., Griffin A., Sun R., & Sosnoff J.J. Using Technology for Fall Risk Assessment in Older Adults. (2019). American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. Chicago, IL.
- Hsieh K.L., Trinh L., & Sosnoff J.J. Gait Variability is Altered in Cancer Survivors with Neuropathy (2019). International/American Society of Biomechanics. Calgary, Alberta, CA.
- Tablerion J.M., Wood T.A., Hsieh K.L., Bishnoi A., Sun R., Hernamdez M., An R., & Sosnoff J.J. (2019). Motor Learning in People with Multiple Sclerosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers. Seattle, WA.
- Sun R., Hsieh K.L., Mussad S., & Sosnoff J.J. (2018). Assessment of Postural Control in Multiple Sclerosis: Identification of Core Outcome Variables. Rehabilitation in Multiple Sclerosis. Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Hsieh K.L. and Sosnoff J.J. (2017). Gait Variability is Associated with Reduced Cognitive Function in Individuals with Multiple Sclerosis. American Congress of Rehabilitative Medicine. Atlanta, GA.
- Hsieh K.L., Moon Y., Ramkrishnan V., Ratman R., & Sosnoff J.J. (2017). Validating Virtual Time to Contact with Home-Based Technology. International Society of Posture and Gait Research. Fort Lauderdale, FL.
The Interaction Between Cognition and the Environment on Gait in Older Adults
National Institute on Aging
PI: Hsieh, K.L.
Real-world Monitoring of Limb Loading for Bone Preservation During Weight Loss
National Institute on Aging
MPIs: Hsieh, K.L. & Weaver, A.A.
American Society of Biomechanics
American Congress of Rehabilitative Medicine
Awards and Honors
2020 – Laura J. Huelster Award
2019 – Paul D. Doolen Scholarship for the Study of Aging
2019 – University of Illinois Chittenden Fellow