PhD, Nursing, Emory University (2018)
MPH, Population & Family Health, Columbia University (2007)
BSN, Nursing, Emory University (2013)
BSFS, Middle East Regional Studies, Georgetown University (2003)
Emergency nursing/EMS, ambulatory care, clinical trials, and adult health
Dr. McGee’s research looks at health policy trade-offs and their effects on patient outcomes and health care costs. His dissertation examined the link between out-of-pocket spending on prescription drugs, treatment adherence, and disease exacerbation among Medicare beneficiaries with heart failure and Part D coverage. He has also supported several sponsored clinical studies related to type 2 diabetes and HIV/AIDS.
During his public health career, Dr. McGee carried out multiple applied research and evaluation projects, including for a regional HIV/AIDS program in southern Africa and a hypertension quality improvement pilot in Uzbekistan.
- McGee, B., Phillips, V., Higgins, M., & Butler, J. (2019). Prescription drug spending and medication adherence among Medicare beneficiaries with heart failure. Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy, 25, 705-13. PMID: 31134861.
- Baker, H., & McGee, B. (2017). Pre-college programs: An innovative way to introduce nursing to college-bound students. Journal of Nursing Education, 56, 316. PMID: 28467564
- Culyba, R., McGee, B., & Weyer, D. (2011). Changing HIV clinical knowledge and skill in context: The impact of longitudinal training in the southeast United States. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 22, 128-39.
- McGee, B., Parikh, R., & Phillips, V. (2019). Heart failure prescription drug spending and medical costs in Medicare Part D. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Philadelphia, PA.
- McGee, B. (2019). Prescription drug spending and hospital use among Medicare beneficiaries with heart failure. AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, Washington, DC.
- McGee, B. (2018). Prescription drug spending and medication adherence in heart failure. Paper presented at Georgia Nursing Leadership Coalition Doctoral Symposium, Atlanta, GA.
- Baker, H., & McGee, B. (2017). Introducing global health nursing to university-bound students: A case study. Poster presented at Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, Dublin, Ireland.
- McGee, B. (2015). Does medication cost sharing predict emergency room use for asthma? Poster presented at AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
- Donovan, M., McGee, B., Heath, A., Hitron, E., … & Gary, R. (2014). Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms following acute myocardial infarction as a predictor of future health outcomes. Poster presented at Southern Nursing Research Society annual conference, San Antonio, TX.
American Heart Association
Sigma Theta Tau
Georgia Nurses Association
American Nurses Association
Board of Directors, Urban Health and Wellness
Legislative Committee and Chapter Advisor, Georgia Nurses Association
Awards and Honors
AcademyHealth Alice S. Hersh Scholarship alternate, 2017
Georgia Nursing Leadership Coalition Health Policy Scholarship, 2015
Sigma Theta Tau International Rising Star of Scholarship and Research, 2015
Fuld Fellowship for Leadership and Social Responsibility in Nursing, 2012