Due to the Corona Virus Pandemic we are making the following adjustments to this year’s application process and we hope you find this process enjoyable and helpful!
- Minimum of 50 hours of OT volunteer or work or work experiences:
We understand how challenging the corona virus pandemic has been on our everyday lives. We know those of you who are preparing to apply to our OT program at Georgia State University have questions and concerns about being able to complete your required observation hours by the time applications are due. We are aware of this and have come up with an option if you are not able to complete the required 50 hours because sites are closing down or not allowing shadowing or volunteers at this time.
Our national organization, the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) has a wealth of information about occupational therapy at every level you can think of.
You can earn 5 hours of towards your minimum of 50 require hours by completing one of the assignments described below. You can complete up to 5 assignments for a total of 25 hours.
Each assignment will consist of 2 parts: The AOTA website part and the YouTube video part.
*Remember we are looking for you to have an understanding of the broad scope of OT, so if you have done some observation hours, for example, in pediatrics, you will want to focus on other practice areas.
Step 1: Information on the AOTA website
- Go to AOTA homepage: https://www.aota.org/
- Look at the top of the homepage, upper left and click on the word
- This takes you to a site that gives information on the different Practice Areas OTs can work in.
- You will see:
- Children and youth
- Health and wellness
- Mental health
- Productive aging
- Rehabilitation and disability
- Work and Industry
- For each practice area, up to 5, you can earn 5 hours towards your volunteer hour requirement by completing the follow assignment.
- Select one of the practice areas:
- Read all of the information posted about it on the practice site
- Summarize in a 1 to 2 page typed paper:
- The population typically seen.
- The type of facility clients may be seen in.
- What types of limitations or disabilities might the clients have that are receiving OT services?
- What are some of the possible reasons the clients will be participating in OT service (what are the desired outcomes)?
- Give 3 examples of things you did not know about OT working in this area of practice until you read the information on the website.
Step 2: Information on YouTube videos
- Watch all of the YouTube videos from the links (below) for the practice area that you researched on the AOTA website.
- After watching the videos, complete a 1 to 2 page typed paper and include the following information:
- Summarize the videos you watched.
- List two things you learned from each of the videos.
- Come up with 2 questions that you have about the practice area that the videos did not answer.
*Upload each completed assignment (including Step 1 and Step 2) in the designated location for Observation Hours in the OTCAS application.
Pediatric focused Links:
Health and wellness focused Links:
Mental Health focused Links:
Productive Aging focused Links:
Rehabilitation focused Links:
Work and industry focused Links:
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3995
Atlanta, GA 30302-3995