The information shared here is intended to provide an overview of Georgia State University’s offerings. For official details on admissions requirements, tuition, courses and more please refer to the university catalogs.
- healthcare administration;
- professional nursing organizations;
- higher education; and
- many practice settings throughout Georgia.
What Is Nursing?Nursing is an art and a science. It is the art of knowing how to balance knowledge and compassion to give holistic care to individuals, families, groups and communities. As a science, nursing requires a wealth of knowledge and critical-thinking skills necessary to provide safe, effective, culturally competent medical care. The Perimeter College Department of Nursing became an administrative unit of the Georgia State University School of Nursing in 2016.
The associate degree path to nursing is now the Georgia State University School of Nursing Associate Degree Program, Perimeter College.
The associate degree courses continue to be housed at the same campus locations, and admissions standards and program costs remain the same.
For more information on the change, visit the School of Nursing website.
- The program is designed for master’s and bachelor’s prepared nurses. We also invite D.N.P.-prepared nurses to apply to the Ph.D. program. (For D.N.P.-prepared nurses, course credit may be given for previous coursework.)
- The Ph.D. program is available for full-time and part-time study and with coursework primarily online.
- Students attend a few required on-campus sessions: just two days in the fall and spring semesters.
- The web-based classes are a combination of real-time (synchronous or live) and on-demand (asynchronous) classes.
- Research, clinical and administrative faculty positions in nursing schools nationwide
- Leadership and executive positions in corporate hospital systems and healthcare organizations
Beginning Fall semester 2022, Georgia State’s R.N. to B.S.N. program joins a collaborative academic agreement, which allows our program to deliver certain courses common to the R.N. to B.S.N. program of study with other nursing programs in the University System of Georgia. See the new application deadline and additional information in the tabs below. Complete information on the new fall admission and collaborative agreement here.Bachelor’s prepared nurses are in high demand as hospitals and healthcare organizations try to address the current nursing shortage. Earning a bachelor’s degree in nursing will provide you with a competitive advantage through advanced training that will broaden your career options in leadership and specialty positions as well as prepare you to move into graduate level work. Georgia State’s online R.N. to B.S.N. degree completion program is designed for practicing registered nurses with an associate degree in nursing or a nursing diploma. In just three semesters you can complete your core nursing curriculum and receive your bachelor of science in nursing. Flexible pathways consisting of less than nine credit hours per semester are also available to help you balance competing demands. The program prepares nurses at an advanced level to meet the challenges of today’s complex healthcare environment. Georgia State’s School of Nursing is the only one in Georgia that offers the full spectrum of nursing education, from associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees with six of these programs available online. Our urban location, healthcare partnerships, and extensive healthcare network offer unique career advantages. Your success matters to us. We are committed to supporting you through every step of your journey. Accreditation and Approvals: The baccalaureate degree program in nursing/master of science degree program in nursing/post-master’s certificate/and Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Georgia State is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner