- Where are you from?
Georgetown, Guyana. The only English-speaking country in South America!
- What do you like to do outside of school? What are you passionate about in life? - tell us about yourself!
When I am not in school, I enjoy entertaining and spending time with my family and loved ones. In the summer, I like to ride my bicycle in the neighborhood park, listening to live music, hiking out in the woods, and traveling to Chattanooga. I am a big foodie and love dining at local restaurants.
- Why did you choose to study nutrition? Was there a specific person, experience, or event that sparked your interest?
Food has always been an integral and central part of my life. While living in Guyana, I spent several years assisting my maternal grandmother with her catering business. I did everything from weighing flour to packaging customers' orders. Food came to me naturally. I can definitely say that grandmother is a strong influence behind my passion to study nutrition. She is most likely the reason I started event catering. The desire to study nutrition stemmed from wanting to learn about the relationship between food and the body. What happens if certain foods are consumed more than others? I was intrigued about the science between food and the body and learning how eating nutrient-dense foods can help with maintaining a healthy body weight and even preventing so many chronic diseases.
- What made you choose the B.S. in Nutrition program at GSU?
I loved that the program provided the opportunity for me to attend part-time. This allows me to have flexibility.
- What is your favorite thing about GSU’s nutrition program?
I like the intimate setting of the classrooms and that the professors genuinely care about student success. I also love that the curriculum covers a variety of nutrition related subjects that can be applied in everyday life.
- Are you involved in any nutrition-related experiences (research, other projects), or volunteering, outreach, or student organizations? If so, please tell us a bit about them.
I am not currently involved in any organizations.
- Where do you see yourself after graduating with your B.S. in Nutrition? Are you planning to go to graduate school? What type of career would you like to have?
After graduating I am planning on acquiring the Certified Dietary Manager credential. My plan is to transition out of event catering and start a meal prep company.
- If you could give advice to someone considering studying nutrition, what would you tell them?
The career opportunities in the field of nutrition are endless! Find an area that you are passionate about, do your research, and pursue it! And remember to always believe in yourself.